Friday, November 02, 2007

More on the Green Backlash

For another perspective on the potential "green backlash," check out this post from Celso Oliveira, who dishes on Dell, GE and the potential consumer backlash of blatantly PR-driven green programs.

I thought about this not once but two other times today, aside from a quick chat with Celso:

1) Talking to a colleague and Civic Hybrid driver, who cynically acknowledged the electricity requirements of hybrids like hers. We then started talking about hydrogen vehicles, high end electric cars like the Tesla roadster...and I even found myself again quoting Michael Crooke at LOHAS 2006: It's not enough to be eco-groovy.

2) Watching The Office and Scrubs tonight on NBC. During commercials they promoted next week's Green-themed episodes of Chuck, Heroes and 30 Rock, with a guest spot by Al Gore.

Cementing my moderate outlook on all things Green, I'm not nearly as cynical of NBC's attention grabbing programming stunt as I am of its name ("Green is Universal," a silly pun nodding toward NBC's parent.) Like Celso I'll conclude that it's up to the consumer to distinguish between PR and a genuine green effort.

No comments: