Friday, October 26, 2007

Ethos JWT, and a side rant on subscriber content

Nice little Wall Street Journal clip (and it is a clip, since most of their illustrious content is still free in preview only) on Ethos JWT- the arm of massive ad conglomerate WPP that initially handled non-profit work before finding a lucrative market in helping companies tout social responsibility efforts.

Note on WSJ's "subscriber content:" about 8 years ago I had an internship with a magazine, and a great boss who shared me his WSJ log-in. I got all ethical a few years later and stopped using it to access WSJ long after my internship was over. And now it appears that the movement is firmly afoot to tear down the "subscriber walls" at the web's best news sources, as Web@Work notes the NYTimes did with columns and other archived content in September. Note: I'm not saying what I think the media companies should do; in fact, I'm completely conflicted, because even as a blogger and an advocate of "citizen journalism" I'll always yield to the higher authority of bona fide reporters, who need to get paid somehow (and I ironically don't believe that serving ads is always the answer), and yet I'm a cheapskate and almost completely unwilling to subscribe to an online newspaper.

No comments: